Consulting with an attorney about a divorce case may seem overwhelming. If you have never been through the process, you may not know what questions to ask or what information may or may not be relevant. In addition, emotions are often high since it may feel like so much is at stake. For these reasons, it can be helpful to be prepared with specific questions during your first meeting with a divorce lawyer.
Ask the Right Questions Prior to Filing for Divorce
While the divorce process may be quite complex, the right attorney will help you to navigate your upcoming case. It’s recommended that you pose these questions to your lawyer prior to filing for divorce. This way, you won’t feel overwhelmed when the time comes to begin your legal proceedings.
Questions About the Process:
- Can you walk me through the divorce process?
- Are family assets frozen when the divorce process starts?
- After hearing the facts, what is your initial strategy for my case?
- What can I do to better prepare for the case, especially if I am not ready to start the process?
- What can I expect the financial and custody orders to look like in my case?
- How long do you expect it to take to resolve my case?
Questions for Your Divorce Lawyer:
- Tell me about your divorce law experience.
- Do you practice any other types of law?
- How can we work together to use your time most efficiently and minimize my fees and additional costs?
- How do you communicate with your clients?
- What is your hourly rate, and how much of a retainer would you require?
If you are considering divorce, it is best to speak with an experienced family law attorney, so that you can better understand the process and the reasonable outcome of your case. The attorneys at Ferro & Battey, LLC handle all aspects of divorce, matrimonial matters, and family law with the highest level of competence and service. To schedule a consultation, call 203-424-0482 or head HERE.