Kristin Cavallari’s Salmon BLT Salad with Spicy Tomatillo Ranch just might become your favorite healthy, easy meal for this Spring and Summer. The Hills star and Uncommon James founder just published her new cookbook, Truly Simple, which is chock full of weeknight meals, but Kristin says this recipe is one of her go-to’s for lunch and dinner.
“This salad has a few of my favorite things: salmon (which has omega-3s and is so, so good for you), bacon (no explanation needed), avocado (healthy fats), and spicy tomatillo ranch dressing (just yum). If you aren’t familiar with tomatillos, they’re similar to tomatoes but are slightly less sweet and are perfect when drenched in ranch.
Salmon BLT Salad with Spicy Tomatillo Ranch
1 (1-pound) skin-on salmon fillet
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 head butter lettuce, chopped
¼ small red onion, chopped
1 avocado, diced
1 medium heirloom tomato, chopped
4 slices of bacon, cooked, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped red chives
Spicy Tomatillo Ranch Dressing (recipe to follow)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season the salmon with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast the salmon for either 7 to 9 minutes (for a pink and slightly r aw center) or 10 to 14 minutes (for a fully cooked center), depending on your texture preference. Remove the skin by scraping it off with a fork. Split the salmon into 2 pieces.
- Build the salads: Split the lettuce between 2 large bowls. Add half of the onion, avocado, tomato, bacon, and salmon to each bowl. Sprinkle both salads with chives, drizzle with dressing, and serve.
Spicy Tomatillo Ranch Dressing
Makes 3 cups
1½ cups mayo
1⁄4 cup full-fat coconut milk
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
3 tomatillos, coarsely chopped
1 cup packed coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (1⁄2 bunch)
2 scallions, white and green parts, coarsely chopped
1 medium clove garlic, coarsely chopped
2 jalapeños, seeds removed, coarsely chopped
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the mayo, coconut milk, lime juice, tomatillos, cilantro, scallions, garlic, jalapeños, salt, and a pinch of pepper in a high-powered blender.
- Blend on high until fully combined, about 30 seconds.
The dressing will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Recipe from TRULY SIMPLE. Copyright © 2023 by Kristin Cavallari
Photography copyright © 2023 by Aubrie Pick
Published by Rodale Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.
Reprinted with permission.