Drive just a short and you will find one of the magical Saturdays fall has to offer in the area. Only 30 mins from the hearts of Ridgefield is the most exciting day for young readers across the tri-state area. Get ready for the perfect family outing – a day trip to this bucolic hamlet centered around the Chappaqua Children’s Book Festival.
From princesses to pups, to angst-filled tweens, and every crazy character in between, you’ll find them all at the Chappaqua Children’s Book Festival from 10am-4pm on September 29 (rain or shine). Children will be able to meet more than 95 of their favorite authors and illustrators, who will happily chat with their young fans about how they bring favorite characters to life and will gladly sign any books purchased at the festival.
But that’s not all!
- Children can meet and take photos with some of their favorite characters from Biscuit himself to Maisie, the beloved Pig from Give a Pig a Pancake and, of course, Llama Llama.
- Enjoy LIVE readings at the “Read-to-me Garden” made possible by Mount Kisco Child Care Center with best-loved authors including Roxie Munro (reading Rodent Rascals), Kevin Lewis (reading Chugga Chugga) and Jason Carter Eason (reading Pop)
- Don’t miss the Community Festival with sports, crafts, activities and exciting giveaways from our generous supporters.
- And FOOD! We can’t forget the food! Grab lunch from our kid-friendly food trucks, and some sweet treats from the Great Chappaqua Bake Sale which supports Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign.
The CCBF is an all-volunteer effort that has grown in size and popularity every year since its 2013 debut. “Each year we invite authors who offer visiting families the opportunity to be transported to different and diverse worlds. The festival welcomes visitors to explore a world of characters and experiences of all kinds that captures imaginations complete with the real and fictional,” according to Dawn Greenberg, CCBF founder and executive director. “We hope families from throughout the tri-state area join us for a day of riveting stories and fresh voices.”
Planning Your Day: A morning full of surprises
Have little ones up at the crack of dawn eager to meet some of their favorite authors? Even though the festival gates officially open at 10 am, come on down early, park in our large Metro North lot, and visit Chappaqua’s famous farmer’s market at the station. Produce to pastries to pickles – browsing everything from yummy baked goods to the season’s early apples (not to mention terrific coffee for mom and dad) is a great way to start the day.
Or pop into Chappaqua Station café in the beautifully restored depot building for breakfast to fuel up for the festival, and surprise your kids with meeting Clifford the Big Red Dog at 9:30 a.m.!
As the clock strikes 10, be among the first to personally meet the people behind some of your children’s favorite characters (and some of their ACTUAL favorite characters!). Grab a map of author locations, and visit the tables piled high with wonderful stories:
- LOVE Dinosaurs? Be the first in line to meet Bernard Most, best-loved author of If the Dinosaurs Came Back, and ask him about this new books
- Is your daughter a little mermaid? Meet Mara van Fleet, author of the magical Three Little Mermaids interactive series.
- At 10:15, join Roxie Munro for a live reading of her warm and enthusiastic celebration of RODENTS!
- Chugga Chugga Choo Choo to Kevin Lewis’s live reading at 11 a.m.
- Stay for an 11:30 illustration lesson from world-renowned artist Eric Velasquez
A magical afternoon
Can’t get to Chappaqua until after morning activities? No problem. There is PLENTY planned for a magical afternoon. Plan to come for lunch and hit the Food-for-Thought Cafe on festival grounds for a quick bite before you feast on the vast selection of books to explore.
The Food-for-Thought will NOT disappoint with comfort fall foods available for purchase from Three Little Pigs BBQ, Walter’s Hot Dogs, Mobile Melt, Village Social Pizza, and more. Polish off lunch with a taste of the official Festival ice cream flavor from Penny Lick’s Ice Cream Cart, this year in homage to author Bernard Most: “If the Dinosaurs Came Back from Ice Cream.”
With your appetite satisfied, it is time to feast your eyes on the talent from our 95+ visiting authors and illustrators.
Have a little girl who’s a Pinkalicious fan? Be one of the first in line for author Victoria Kann, who will arrive to meet her readers and sign books featuring her effervescent and whimsical heroine from 2-4 p.m. Among the other authors your children can meet will be Torrey Maldonado (Tight), Alyssa Capucilli and Pat Schories (the ever-popular Biscuit series), middle-grade author Barbara Dee (Halfway Normal and Star-Crossed), Gail Carson Levine (Ella Enchanted and the new prequel Ogre Enchanted), Rosemary Wells (the Max & Ruby series), Bruce Degen (Magic School Bus), and many more, including award-winning authors and illustrators Bryan Collier, Jerry Pinkney, Steve Savage, Rosemary Wells, Mark Teague and Jane Yolen. Author readings throughout the afternoon include Peter Lerangis (Max Tilt) at 1:30, Veera Hiranandani (The Night Diary) at 2:15, and Jason Carter Eaton (Pop) at 3 p.m.
And when you accumulated enough books to enjoy bedtime snuggles for the rest of the school year, celebrate with the grand finale after-party complete with the Breeze Bubble Bus and our favorite DJ, Hal Prince at 3:30PM!.
Come one, come all!!
When and where:
The 2018 Chappaqua Children’s Book Festival
The Largest Annual Book Festival in the Tri-State Region
Saturday September 29, 10 am- 4 pm (Rain or Shine)
Bell School, Chappaqua NY
Admission is FREE. For more information, visit http://www.ccbfestival.org.
Books are available through Best Book Fairs (cash or credit cards accepted).
The Festival is a short and beautiful drive from Ridgefield. Opt to start your story adventure with roads less travelled through Pound Ridge and Bedford or choose the more travelled connection via 684S or the saw mill parkway.
The official address to plug into Waze or Google Maps: 50 Senter St, Chappaqua, NY 10514
Robert E. Bell Middle School, Chappaqua, NY 10514